This exhibition presents Chris Killip’s photographs taken at The Station music venue in Gateshead in 1985. The Station is a dedicated performance and rehearsal space established by The Gateshead Music Collective, after their previous venue was threatened with closure.
‘In 1985 I was photographing nightlife venues in Newcastle when someone told me about The Station. I was amazed by the energy and feel of the place. It was totally different; run for and by the people who went there. I stopped going to other venues to photograph there on Saturday nights. Nobody ever asked me where I was from or even who I was.’ – Chris Killip
These images were recently discovered by Killip’s son, who found a box of contact sheets made by his father 30 years previous and had laid unseen in Killip’s archives. They document the style, theatricality and raw energy of the counter-culture Punk movement which flourished under Thatcher’s government in the UK.
We have put in place the following measures to ensure the safety of visitors and staff at the Foundation.
– limiting the gallery to a maximum capacity of 12 people to ensure social distancing can be maintained
– providing hand sanitiser that must be used upon arrival
– distributing hand sanitiser throughout the gallery
– ensuring that windows and doors are open to create a well ventilated environment
– increased cleaning across the gallery, studio and library
– installing social distancing markers in the gallery
– removing cash payments from the shop. Please bring a contactless card to purchase books, postcards and MPF ephemera
Only visit when you, and everyone in your party, feels well and are symptom free.
If you would like to visit as a group larger than 8 people please get in touch beforehand via email – firstname.lastname@example.org
We are required to take details for NHS Track and Trace. Please download the free NHS COVID 19 app so you can check-in to the Foundation when you arrive. If you are unable to do this, please speak to a member of staff on arrival to make alternative arrangements.
Photo – The Station, 1985. © Chris Killip, 2020